Followers

About Me

My photo
A garden enthusiast who loves to travel and capture the beauty of places and freeze the memories of her travels in photographs, as well as document her experiences in verse...thankful for the simple pleasures in life.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Tranquil Garden

I am at a loss for words...I really am.  Spring is the time to visit New Zealand! My friends and I ooh-ed and wow-ed and practically swooned at the sight of all the spring bulbs in bloom, the rhododendrons in all their majesty ...oh, I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.

I shall feature one garden at a time. My favourite, although one can't really have just one favourite really,  is this place we happened upon, in Ashburton. It is a privately owned country garden belonging to Alan & Catherine Trott. This award winning garden is open to the public. I can imagine it being a favourite venue for weddings. As we walked along the woodland garden, the birds were singing more joyfully than I've heard birds chirping elsewhere in the other gardens we've visited. You just cannot help but be happy there. I was telling Alan Trott as we were leaving that I could spend the whole day there just reading or dreaming. It has that kind of peaceful serenity you don't easily get to experience. Idyllic.

I love the woodland garden. Of course I couldn't identify all the plants there; so it was all the more exciting discovering strange " new" species.  Among those which are familiar to me are the rhododendrons and azaleas and maples. The colours were brilliant.

The formal garden is attractive in its own right. I would love to have that blue garden bench between two topiary plants in my own garden! Will be working on making that materialise one day. I wouldn't be able to have a knot garden like Trott's though. It is just too huge a project, need I say more?
My congratulations to the Trotts for producing a living, breathing masterpiece!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!
It is always a pleasure to read your comments. I shall certainly try my best to jet over to your blog and catch up with you there.