Followers

About Me

My photo
A garden enthusiast who loves to travel and capture the beauty of places and freeze the memories of her travels in photographs, as well as document her experiences in verse...thankful for the simple pleasures in life.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Wild About Wildflowers

For Flaunt Your Flowers on Tootsie's Fertiliser Friday, I shall be flaunting today, not my own flowers from Mygardenhaven, but instead, I shall flaunt my photographs of Australian wildflowers.


I was in Western Australia last week, and I was on the  look out for Australian wildflowers. No, I didn't go trekking in the bushland. That would have been an adventure, I know, but the best place to find them all together was of course King's Park Perth Botanic Gardens. The plants here are mostly native trees and bush flora of Western Australia.



If you are visiting King's Park, make sure you have wheels...a bicycle, or if you are from out of town, a rental vehicle. Why? Because this wouldn't be your usual morning walk in the park where you take a stroll and cover the area in half an hour. The park is approximately 4 sq kilometres,  the largest inner city park in the world! 

A little more about King's Park before we get to the wildflowers. This is a beautiful park and the panoramic view of the Swan River as well as of the city from Mount Eliza, where the State War Memorial Precinct is, is captivating.




    

These are the famed Boab Tree, or the Gija jumulu, ancient giants ( the trees can grow up to a thousand odd years! ) from the Kimberly region, north of Western Australia. They travelled 3000km to be part of King's Park. They certainly are the major attraction here. I got to see these trees in the dry winter season, so they are bare of leaves. The trees begin to flower and fruit in the wet season in September. I was here one month too early to witness this. I was surprised to learn that almost every part of the tree can be used...for food, shelter and medicine! The boab tree roots are said to be delicious, the young leaves can be added to salads, and the seeds are high in vitamin C content! Not bad coming from a  bottle-shaped tree.

P1000581.jpg image by mygardenhaven
For Haiku Heights (Friendship)

the tree of friendship

it nourishes and comforts

stay rooted yet free



Here we are at the Botanic Garden. There are about 2000 species of Australian native flora here, and I'm going to show you all of them!? That would take me a week to prepare such a post, so...no, not all of them. Besides, like I mentioned earlier, my visit was a bit too early. The peak of the wildflower blooming season is from September to October. That's when the annual King's Park Festival is held where among other events, the flaunting of beautiful wildflowers takes the limelight. Here are the ones that were blooming, though. 


This was the lone Kangaroo Paw I encountered. It is the Mangles Kangaroo Paw and has the singular  honour of being the floral emblem of Western Australia.

P1000633.jpg

These pretty little things were in abundance. They are Qualup Bells.

    





This is decidedly my all-time favourite shot. I am deliriously happy each time I look at this photograph. Oh, of course I love the golden yellow Coast Banksia here, and I also love the shape of the leaves. But oh how I adore that bird for resting there and allowing me to capture that pose! I don't even know its name. It was a lovely, lovely encounter. I read that banksias produce lots of nectar, and that must have been a pitstop for the thirsty bird. I also read that the aborigines also partake of the sweet nectar.


For more images of King's Park and Western Australia, check out my travel-i-tales blog.
Till we meet again, cheers mate!


Linking to:
Fertilizer Friday
Macro Friday
Macro Flowers Saturday
Haiku Heights
Haiku My Heart

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this beautiful virtual trip to the botanical garden. I regret that I was not there with you.
    Your picture with the bird is fantastic, I love them all.

    Please correct your backlink to MFS, you are linking to a search label.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amei o passeio! As fotos são lindas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy your travel tales and photos, how I wish I could go travelling like you! Lovely park with so many lovely flowers even if they are the wild type! Love that fantastic photo of the bird and the unusual bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great capture.
    loveliness at every turn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing the wild wonders of Oz with us. No wonder that image makes you smile - it's a great shot and a glorious bird

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really large park! Thank you for naming the flowers. You are rightly proud of the photo with the bird. It is perfect! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your haiku as well as the picture of the Qualop Bells and the Coast Banksia (with what I think is a Western Meadowlark in front of it)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We build such emotional bonds with trees and plants in our gardens, parks or street that it hurts to see them wither or fall!!

    Great shots from the botanical garden and nice panoramic views!!

    The ancient old trees ( Boab Tree) you have shot are like friends forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ wordcoaster - thank you so much for the ID for the bird. I had no idea what it was. A Western Meadowlark...such a lovely name.

    @ Nangka - thank you, I can't help being a tree-hugger whenever I see trees like this!

    @Porch Days, PatioPatch, Maia - Glad you could share the pleasure of my bird-capture. That lark was an amazing whistler...caught my attention straight away.

    @ rebecca, becca, P3, Miriam, Pieces of sunshine - thank you for stopping by and viewing these photos. So glad you enjoyed the images.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line!
It is always a pleasure to read your comments. I shall certainly try my best to jet over to your blog and catch up with you there.